Labor Temple, 9th Ave. & 16th St.
Tampa-Hillsborough Public Library System
September 1, 1936 – A committee of the Popular Front political organization in Tampa cables $1,800 ($24,242 in today’s dollars) to the loyalist Spanish government through the Spanish ambassador in Paris. The committee had previously sent $2,000 and $1,600 in weekly contributions, and as long as the need existed, vowed to send as much as $10,000 or more per week. Headquarters for the war chest were located at the Ybor City labor temple and collections were made in Ybor City and West Tampa outside cigar factories on payday. Paul Ubarri, the Spanish consul in Tampa, went to the telegraph office to “add the dignity of his presence” and express the appreciation of his government.